Skip to content
Tyler D. Davis — Curriculum Vitae
- Tibeto-Burman Languages Kuki-Chin languages, Burmese, Grammaticalization
- Linguistic Typology Dialectology, Comparative Phonology, Historical Linguistics
- Field Linguistics Narrative discourse analysis
- Corpus linguistics Text analysis, discourse structure, tokenization
- Mother-Tongue Based – Multilingual Education (MLE) Language standardization, literacy, language engagement, language recognition
- 2015-2018 M.A. Linguistics (First class Honors), Payap University, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Thesis: Verb stem alternation in Sizang Chin narrative discourse
Download from Academia.edu — ResearchGate — Zenodo — From tylerdavis.xyz
- 2012-2014 B.A. German (with Honors), Indiana University, Fort Wayne, United States.
Minors in Spanish and Linguistics
Professional papers (policy papers, working papers, etc.)
- 2021. South, A., Edwards, N., Davis, T., Cin Khan Lian, Rachel Niang Dim, Naomi Thang, Stenning, E. Language and Education in Chin State. Working Paper No. 1. Covenant Consult.
Download (English) — (Burmese Translation)
Peer-reviewed Conference Proceedings Papers
- 2018. The association of foreground and background information with verb stem alternation in Sizang Chin, Papers from the Chulalongkorn International Student Symposium on Southeast Asian Linguistics 2017, (pp. 32-41), Bangkok, Thailand.
Download (Paper) Academia.edu — ResearchGate (Full volume) SEALS
- 2017. An analysis of tone sandhi in Jieyáng Hakka using Optimality Theory, Payap University Research Symposium 2017: Full Paper Proceedings (pp. 450–458), Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Download (Paper) Academia.edu — ResearchGate
Unrefereed Popular Writings
Refereed Conference Presentations
- 2018. Re-assessing conditional clauses in Sizang Chin, 10th Annual Meeting of The Northeast Indian Linguistic Society (NEILS 10), Silchar, India.
Download (Abstract) Academia.edu
- 2017. An analysis of tone sandhi in Jieyáng Hakka using Optimality Theory, Payap University Research Symposium, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Download (Paper) Academia.edu
- 2016. Spatial Relations in Sizang Chin, The 22nd Himalayan Languages Symposium (HLS 22), Guwahati, India.
- 2015. The acquisition, use and attitude toward the Burmese language according to individuals from the Chin Hills of Myanmar, The First International Burma/Myanmar Studies Conference (ICBMS 1), Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Download (Paper) Academia.edu
- 2019. The Linguistics of South Central Tibeto-Burman languages (in Tedim Chin), Zomi PESTEL Talk 5, Yangon, Myanmar.
- English: Native
From Northeast Indiana, U.S.
- Burmese: Conversational
Self-study via semi-immersion since 2010 among refugees in the United States and Thailand. Have lived in Myanmar since May 2018. Have translated and interpreted professionally between Burmese and English.
- Spanish: Conversational; Academic
Studied since middle school until end of undergrad. Have translated and interpreted professionally between Spanish and English.
- German: Conversational; Academic
Studied academically. Was major of Bachelor’s degree.
- Sizang Chin: Conversational
Minority language of Burma/Myanmar. Learned on-site and studied academically.